August 22, 2017

About Jeddah

by Robin Renè Freeman
August 22, 2017

Photo Credit: www.greenprophet.com
The name American Kabsa came about from the delightful national dish of Saudi Arabia, shared with me over the years by many Saudi families, but most especially Muhsin and Donna Albaz.

After my recent move to Jeddah, I have discovered a place filled with both interest and conflict. Hopefully, this medium will offer a beneficial way to share my thoughts, experiences, and perceptions as I make new discoveries here in the kingdom.

I found an excellent description about Jeddah I would like to share, "Known locally as 'The Bride of the Red Sea,' Jeddah lies at about the same latitude as Honolulu and Hong Kong, and it shares their hot, humid climate. Tradition has it that the city derives its name (grandmother in Arabic) from the legend that Eve (Howa) was buried here. Since nearly the inception of Islam, Jeddah has been the main point of entry for foreign pilgrims to perform the Hajj or pilgrimage to Makkah. Caliph Othman personally selected it as the ideal locale over rivals to the north and south. Jeddah’s advantage was that it already was an established port with a history of facilitating the pre-Islamic pilgrimage and spice trades in the Hejaz, the western region of what is now Saudi Arabia." (U.S. Consulate)

Thank you for your interest and please join me as I introduce social issues, sites, people and shopping tips during my stay in Jeddah. Last, if you would like to enjoy Kabsa for yourself, try out this recipe.

Photo Credit: Google Maps










U.S. Consulate General Jeddah | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Saudi Arabia. (2016). U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Saudi Arabia. Retrieved 12 October 2016, from https://sa.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/jeddah/

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Jeddah

About Jeddah

by Robin Renè Freeman August 22, 2017 Photo Credit: www.greenprophet.com The name  American Kabsa  came about from the delightful n...